Wagon Project

2013.07.22.IMG_0043

This wagon is something I designed and built, including the spoked wagon wheels.  Quite a project.

IMG_0077 IMG_0080   IMG_0083

The wheels start with some 2 x 4’s cut to the right angles and glued together with dowels to keep it all lined up.  Once the wheels get to this point they have to be made round.

IMG_0092 IMG_0093

I made a jig to hold the wheel blank and then attached the router adapter I made to cut large circles.  With the right router bit and a little patience, it’s not all that  hard.

IMG_0098 IMG_0104

After cutting the outside, the inside also needs to be cut, adding some blocks to the jig to hold the blank on the outside and running the router around a few more times turns it all into something resembling a wheel.

IMG_0104 IMG_0105 IMG_0107 IMG_0108

Not bad for the first attempt at making a wooden wheel!

IMG_0110 IMG_0113

I cut the centers out using a large hole saw, then figured out where and how deep the holes for the spokes had to be, a flat bottom drill bit in a drill press accomplished the task of making the holes all the same.  Also drilling through the wheel had to be done at the right spots around the wheel itself.

IMG_0115 IMG_0137

As the project progresses we have multiple wheels with the spokes being glued into place.

IMG_0118 IMG_0134

I’ve come a long way since having made the wheel blanks with corners to having round wheels with all the spokes in place.

IMG_0147 4 wheels ready for the wagon to be built!

IMG_0011 IMG_0020

The wagon frame and king pin steering is pretty easy to figure out, the whole front axle turns at once on a basic wagon.  Then building a wooden box is a straight forward, easy to do job.

IMG_0027 IMG_0048 IMG_0045 70 for print

The side boards are removable.  I made this wagon to raise some herbs, and when the plants are small, I wanted them to get sun.  As the plants grow larger, the sides can be put back in place.  With the herbs in a mobile platform I can wheel them around to either shade them or get them more sun as required.  And it looks pretty cool on the front lawn as an ornament.

 

 

3 thoughts on “Wagon Project

    1. At first I used a large oak dowel for the axles. That was fine until it rained, the wagon got wet, and the axles swelled and then the wheels wouldn’t turn. I cut off the wood axles and installed steel rods, I think 1/2″ or 5/8″, I don’t remember. I pressed copper fittings into the wheel hubs, then lined those with heavy plastic pipe. The steel axles are sleeved with copper pipe that just fits inside the plastic pipe. All this was done because of the holes in the wheels being sized for the large wood axles so the holes had to be “bushed” down to a workable size. I have pictures of this process if you want to see them.

      1. Thanks. I get the idea. My project will be fore indoor use, so I think I have a plan. Just browsing for additional options.

        Thanks!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *